Monday, January 2, 2017

It's a Festivus Miracle!

Mom, holy cow! It sounds like you and your bike have not gotten along too well this week! Maybe you two should take a break from each other. Question: did the chipped teeth come from your misadventures  with the bike? Haha, April and Lynette's messages were perfect. They were just so them- it's good to know that some things never change. Yay for finishing your class! Glad you got it done before the Nativity madness. I'm glad Thanksgiving went good! Have an awesome time with the Nativity! I really miss the Nativity. It was one of my favorite parts of Christmas time. Haha, our appartment problems are not fixed, but our apartment manager only speaks Italian, so I would love to see you try and call him. Oh! Also, vrees niet, I picked up my package at the post office today, so all is well. Thank yoouuuuu!!!!

Dad, 1) our district is 10 people- 4 of which are in the Sint Niklaas ward (with Lokeren) and then the 6 Antwerpen missionaries. Yes, Zuster Berrett had fair warning of what she was getting herself into. 2) Zuster Burnham went to Gouda- it is her first Nederland area, and she has been here 9 months, which is a SUPER long time to be in Belgium in this mission 3) My Dutch is coming. I understand most everything now (or at least can get the gist), but I can't say near as much as I understand. Also, they speak Flams here, and Zuster Burnham only spoke Flams (since she'd only been in Belgium), and a missionary fresh from Nederland told me (with surprise) that I spoke Flams. I have decided to take that as a compliment. Most missionaries speak Dutch, because they start their mission in Nederland, and don't spend much time in Belgium, so they don't really pick up the Flams much. I am quite happy with that fact, but it is going to be rough when I get transfered to Nederland and have to relearn. They say it's easier going from Flams to Dutch than Dutch to Flams though, so hopefully it won't be bad. 4) The next transfer is right after Christmas, so I'll be in Antwerpen 5) The people of Antwerpen are not super religious, but the numbers weren't too bad. We mostly ran a tetoonstelling (I don't know the English word) where we talked to people about the church. 6) No, no one cares about Thanksgiving here. 7) Your ornaments are on the tree. I especially liked the "Don't muff it" one. I will try. 8) Yes 1) Ik sprek niet zo veel Nederlands, so suck it up! 1) Sounds like an awesome week! (other than the missing puzzle piece- glad you didn't let it get you down.)

Well everyone, we had a really good week! We had 16 appointments go through, 11 of which were lessons with investigators! That is a really big number for us, and I'm still not quite sure how it happened. All I can really attribute it to is blessings. Heavenly Father is moving His work here in Antwerpen forward. Also, we hardly knocked any doors this week. It's a festivus miracle! (I actually kind of like knocking doors, but it's definitely more fun and  rewarding to be in homes teaching the restored gospel of Jesus Christ!)

I'm glad to hear that you all had a good Thanksgiving. Mine was pretty good, too. We had zone training, so all of the missionaries in Belgium came to Antwerpen, and we got trained on the church's new Christmas initiative (for those of you who have not seen the video yet, go watch LIGHTtheWORLD on momon.org- it's really beautiful!). I'm super excited to get to share it with people this Christmas season! Also, we had a dinner appointment with some members. They didn't know that it was Thanksgiving, but it was a happy coincidence. Also, Zuster Berrett and I made a makeshift pie, so it was fun. Then we decorated for Christmas with all of the random Christmas stuff that various missionaries have left in our apartment over the years. 

Exciting news of the week: Nathalie is getting baptized January 29!!!! And, she is quitting smoking! And, her little son wants to be taught by the missionaries! And, she came to church! And, I just really love her! I can just physically see the changes that this gospel is making in her life. She is so much happier, and more patient, and more hopeful now than when we first met her. I am watching the Atonement at work, and it is such a powerful thing to see. The Atonement is so real. I have seen miracles here in Antwerpen. I know that the Lord is at the head of this work. He loves His children, and He has given us this gospel to find happiness and joy. 

I love you all and hope that you have an amazing week!!!!! 

Veel liefde,

No comments:

Post a Comment